July 22, 2012 by Britney
Brownie recipes are the easiest and most rewarding dessert dish to make. A majority of the time you can mix everything in one or two bowls, whisk it together, and ta-da you have delicious brownies! This recipe would fall into that category.
The recipe combines cheesecake and brownies into a delightful treat. Swirled together one square should be more than enough to satisfy your taste buds. They’re a bit dense and the extra chocolate chips make them very rich.
Cheesecake Brownie Swirls
inspired by The Red Spoon
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
Bake time: 35-45 minutes
Makes: one 8×8 pan
- 8×8 pyrex pan
- Foil or parchment paper
- Double boiler or microwave safe bowl
- One small and two medium sized mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Large spoon
- Butter knife
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the 8×8 pan with either foil or parchment paper. Make sure to completely cover the pan.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in either a double boiler over medium-low heat or in a microwave safe bowl for 30-second increments. If using a double boiler, remove from the heat before starting the next step.
- Pour in the sugar and beat until completely mixed. Then beat in one egg at a time.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a small bowl. Slowly beat into the brownie batter. Next add the vanilla extract and chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly in 8×8 pan.
- In another medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy and smooth. Drop about eight spoon-fulls of cheesecake batter onto the brownie batter. Using a butter knife swirl the cheesecake batter with the brownie.
- Slide into the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the brownie feels set. Let cool inside the pan, then lift out and peal away foil or parchment paper. Cut into square and enjoy!