June 11, 2012 by Britney
Coffee cupcakes, combining the best of two worlds coffee and cupcakes!
I don’t know if it’s because I’m from Seattle, but I love coffee! Access is amazing here with a large variety of coffees ranging from organic to free trade and local roasts. Instead of using the instant coffee, you can make a strong cup of any of your favorite brews to add to this recipe!
Coffee Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
inspired by Bake Aholic Mama
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Baking time: 15-20 minutes, 10 minutes for cooling
Makes: 12 cupcakes
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Double boiler or microwave safe bowl
- One large, one medium, and three small mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- Icing spatula
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon hot water
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- cinnamon to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line cupcake pan with paper liner or butter.
- Prepare ingredients, first melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave in 30 second increments. Then in another small bowl combine the instant coffee and tablespoon of hot water. Stir to dissolve all of the coffee. Last whisk together milk, egg, and egg white. Set all three dishes to the side.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add the sifter flour, baking powder, salt, room temperature butter and melted chocolate. Start beating on a low speed and slowly pour in milk mixture. Next add the instant coffee and continue beating until smooth with some lumps.
- Dived batter between 12 cupcake cups and slide into the oven for 15-17 minutes or until they pass the toothpick test.
- While baking cupcakes, go ahead and make the Vanilla Buttercream. Beat butter for 3-5 minutes, it should become fluffy and a pale yellow color. Add sifted powdered sugar and beat for about 2 minutes. Pour in vanilla extract and sprinkle in salt, beat to incorporate and you’re done!
- Allow cupcakes to fully cool before icing, then enjoy!