June 29, 2012 by Britney
Working on a new challenge in my kitchen: baking gluten free.
You may not think about it very often, but you put flour in almost everything you bake. It’s the special ingredients that plays a billion roles in your cupcakes or brownies. So of course the question is, what do I use now?
Well there are a surprisingly large amount of options. The first and easiest is to just purchase pre-made gluten free flour. Although a tad bit pricey, it can be supplemented on a 1:1 ratio for all-purpose flour. Making baking gluten-free pretty simple and easy.
I chose to work with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free flour. It is not always going to have the same properties as flour, so when I start to experiment with pies and cakes, the ratio of gluten-free flour and other ingredients will have to change. Bob’s is blend of gluten free flours including, potato, sogrhum, tapioca, garbanzo, and fava bean.
You can also make your own gluten-free flour blend. I’ll have one for you soon!
Gluten Free Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
inspired by Two Peas & Their Pod
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Bake time: 8-10 minutes
Makes: 3 dozen
- Baking sheet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Two medium sized mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and set to the side.
- In a second medium bowl beat the butter for 1-2 minutes, then pour in both sugar. Beat for another 2-3 minutes or until it becomes fluffy and pale yellow in color. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add flour mixture, a third at a time. Make sure to completely combine before adding more. Stir in chocolate chips and roll dough into 1 inch balls.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until browning around the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for two minutes before enjoying!
Category Desserts, Recipes | Tags: baking recipe, bob's red mill gluten free flour, chocolate chip cookie recipe, chocolate chip cookies, cookie recipe, gluten free, gluten free recipe, mini chocolate chips