August 2, 2012 by Britney
My hope is right now you’re looking at this cookie and wondering, what in the world makes this a moon cookie?
Well, while I was wandering cooking blogs, I found this crazy almond raspberry cake thing I just had to make! On top were crumbles of a cookie very similar to this one. I tracked down a couple recipes, playing in between each so as to figure out how to make them and what the expected texture, flavor, and such should be.
I was confused when I read the recipes, it seemed to be a meringue like batter but the appearance in all the pictures tended towards a crunchy cookie texture.
But boy, was I surprised when I took them out of the oven and bit into the first one. I want to say it had a meringue-like texture and flavor, but it was gooey and soft. Pretty much a cookie unlike any I have ever tried.
I quickly texted a picture over to the boy and he came back with the comment, “it looks like a moon cookie.” And the name just stuck!
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Bake time: 12-15 minutes
Makes: 1 dozen
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Measuring cups and spoons
- One small and one medium sized mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 9 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground almonds
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and cornstarch into small bowl. Add ground cinnamon and 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon powdered sugar, stir until evenly mixed. Set to the side.
- In a medium sized bowl beat the eggs whites with a hand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until they form stiff peaks. Gradually add the rest of the powdered sugar to the eggs, beat until thick and shiny.
- Now slowly pour in the dry ingredient mixture until well mixed. Dough will be very wet.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet and slide into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet, then pop off and enjoy!