May 8, 2012 by Britney
Mixing it up tonight with a dinner recipe! Fettuccine Alfredo is a classic Italian dish and easily agreed upon meal.
Before starting dinner I knew I had to use one ingredient tonight, the crab my grandma had given me the prior evening. Looking around the kitchen I saw I had all the ingredients to make any basic white sauce and . . . ta-da three different blocks of parmesan cheese.
The obvious answer was Fettuccine Alfredo. I’ve tried different recipes before and they all failed in their own way. But this one was perfect!
Creamy and Cheesy.
inspired by A Cozy Kitchen
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes, I’m not quite sure how to split this time between prep and cooking because I tend to prep while cooking. But it took me a total of 30-40 minutes.
Makes: dinner for 2
- Measuring cups and spoons
- One medium and one small sized pot
- Cutting board
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups parmesan cheese
- 3/4 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fill the medium sized pot 2/3 the way full with water and place over high heat to boil. Once boiling add fettuccine pasta and cook until al dente, check the box but mine took about 10-12 minutes. Pour into a colander, shake to get rid of excess water, and return to the pot with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Place the small pot over medium-low heat and melt butter. Mince garlic cloves and add to butter. Saute until fragrant, about one minute.
- Whisk flour into butter until smooth. Then pouring a small amount in at a time, add the full amount of heavy cream. Allow sauce base to simmer for 3-5 minutes, continuously stirring.
- Grate parmesan cheese and gradually add to sauce base. Whisk until smooth and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss pasta with sauce, sprinkle with fresh parmesan and pepper. Enjoy! **I added fresh crab meat to my Fettuccine Alfredo, but you could do anything!**
Category Dinner, Lunch, Recipes | Tags: alfredo, alfredo recipe, baking recipe, cheese sauce recipe, crab recipe, dinner recipe, fettuccine, fettuccine alfredo recipe, parmesan recipe, white sauce recipe