May 9, 2012 by Britney
I believe I previously mentioned my love for cinnamon and sugar. . .oh! and butter, of course.
But back to today, it’s wednesday! Happy middle of the week!
I think this is the most important day to try and make a tad bit more special. Its half way through the week and you need something to motivate you towards this coming weekend.
But do not worry, I have the perfect waffle recipe to do just the trick.
Buttermilk Waffle + Cinnamon Streusel Topping + Maple Icing = Cinnamon Streusel Waffles, also known as, the perfect fix for the wednesdays.
Cinnamon Streusel Waffles
Preparation time: 25-30 minutes
Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Makes: 14-16 waffles
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Two small and two medium sized mixing bowls
- Hand mixer or whisk
- Small pot or microwave safe bowl
- Waffle iron
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoon heavy cream
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a small bowl stir together streusel topping.
- Separate eggs, egg yolks into a medium sized mixing bowl and the whites into a small one.
- In the second medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly stir in the buttermilk with egg yolk. Then add the flour mixture stirring until smooth. Some lumps are okay, but try to break them up with the back of the spoon and the side of the bowl.
- Melt the butter either on the stove or in the microwave and fold into the waffle batter.
- Now return to the egg whites, using a hand mixer or whisk beat until soft peaks form. Then also fold into the batter.
- Drop a couple of spoonfuls of waffle batter onto the iron. Heavily dust the batter with the streusel topping and cover with a thin layer of batter. Bake until golden brown and crisp. The time can vary between waffle iron but mine took about 8-10 minutes, a well heated iron is essential!
- Whip up the icing, drizzle on top of the pipping hot waffles and enjoy!